Wondering how to include your dog in engagement photos?
To make this the absolute best experience, here’s how I recommend you prep them for your session!!!
- First of all, wash your dog the day before your engagement session (unless you have an activity planned that day that will get them dirty again of course!). The reason for the day before is that dogs often shed an undercoat for a bit after a wash and brushing!!! Best to let more loose hair come off before the session!!!
- Take your dog on a long walk or run the day of your shoot!! Getting as much energy out as possible is going to help them remain calm and easy going during your photos!!
- Pack them a bag!!! Bring their favorite toy and treats!! Not only will this reward them for their amazing behavior, but I can also use those items to hold at the camera if we’re having a hard time getting them to look!!! Don’t forget their essentials like water and doggy bags too!!
- Dress them! Make sure to have a neutral-colored collar and leash! Also, if you want them to look extra dapper, put them in a cute bowtie or bandana!!!
- Try to avoid wearing black or other dark colors during the photos with your pup!!! The fur they get on you will stick out like a sore thumb!!! Remember to bring a lint roller for during and after the shoot too!!
- Have a plan for what you’re going to do with them when they aren’t actively in the photos!!! If possible, have a friend come pick them up! Or have your friend join us and then have them take the pup on a walk once their photos are done. If you have a super well behaved pup, you can also bring a long leash that we can tie them in a safe spot next to us!!!
- Lastly, just have a go with the flow attitude about it!! With pups, it’s all about those candids!! While we’ll of course try to get a few of them looking directly at the camera, at the end of the day it’s not always possible!! Just letting them be themselves and showering them with love is still going to get you the sweetest engagement photos ever I promise!!
Have any other questions about prepping your pup or getting dogs in engagement photos? Send me a message!!!
Photos by Rachel Christopherson Photography