Should you have a wedding first look? Below are the pros and cons, and even some alternative ideas!!
Wedding First Look: The Pros
- Private moment for just the two of you! It’ll be one of the only moments you’re alone the entire day!!
- If you’re worried about crying too much during the ceremony or just want to settle your nerves, this is a great option! Get those tears out before the ceremony babyyy!
- You can take wedding party and family photos before the ceremony (right after your first look). This way you can join most of your cocktail hour!!! Party time begins right after you say “I do”!!
Wedding First Look: The Cons
- Your day may need to start a bit earlier to accommodate all of the photos before the ceremony!! You also need to trust that your family will arrive on time for photos if pre-ceremony family photos are the reason you’ve opted for a first look!
- You won’t have the traditional first look during the ceremony!
- If you don’t want a first look, but still want to be together before the ceremony, I recommend a first touch! It’s a really sweet way to connect before the “I do’s” but keeping tradition if that’s super important to you! I’ve seen a range of this from first touch prayers to first touch tequila shots!!!
- Lastly, if there is a person in your life you have a super special relationship with, like your dad, you can always have a first look with them too!
Every couple and love story is unique and should be honored in that way!! While I do think a first look can positively impact your timeline, your wedding is YOUR day!! I’ve done plenty of weddings with and without a first look and all of them have been amazing- and the couples haven’t had any regrets!! The key is just to be educated on the pros & cons before making a decision!! We’ll work out your timeline to be perfect either way!
Photos by Rachel Christopherson Photography LLC, Sacramento wedding photographer